Wednesday 31 October 2012

Top Ten - Bad Mood Edition


Ways To Boost Your Mood


Both sides of the spectrum. My sister thought hanging out with me was worthy of dressing
nicely and doing her makeup. I dragged her hiking. In the woods. In the deep snow.

I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I have a really hard time getting out of bed and mustering up the energy I need for the day. This leads to me reluctantly wiggling into my slippers and getting crankier with every sip of my morning hot chocolate. On days like these, I need help boosting my mood because I don't want to turn velociraptor on anyone. Here are some things that I find help keep me from screaming "GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU KIDS!"

1. Shake what your mama gave'ya! Admitedly, my mom didn't give me much to work with (my behind is flatter than week old soda with the top off), but I shake it anyway! If you can get yourself up and moving around, you're on your way to Upside Down Frownville.

2. Wear something that you love. Got something that makes you smile and/or always gets you compliments? March on over to your closet and get that thing on your body, STAT!

3. Eat something that will make you feel full, but not give you a weighed down feeling. Bananas and apples are my go to snack for this. It's hard to feel energized when you feel so stuffed that you're unsure which end will blow first.

4. Set small goals for yourself. I have days when I decide that I am going to do everything. EVERY. THING. Putting too much pressure on yourself is a bad idea; if I don't just give up out of exhaustion midway through the day, I end up feeling like a failure in the end because there's so much left undone. Set little goals that you know can get done. Small goals = Large victories. Don't worry, you can still rule the world, but  give yourself at least a few days.

5. Try to think of at least three different times in your life when you've gotten through a crummy situation. If you start to feel overwhelmed during the day, tell yourself that this will be a moment you can add to that list. Hopefully this will help reassure you that you're going to get though it, and make you feel less like doo doo butter.

6. Smile. Listen to, or watch something that makes you laugh. It goes without saying, but laughing ups your mood big time! Flight of the Conchords always does it for me. I laugh even thinking about it (and I snort when I laugh, so it generally makes someone else laugh too).

7. Treat yourself somehow. Do something you love that you don't normally do for yourself to brighten your day. Buy or eat a little piece of happiness.

8. Give someone else a compliment. Guaranteed you aren't the only one out there who is ready to Hulk out, so brighten someone else's day by saying something nice. It will make you feel good too.

9. Spend time with someone who brings out the best in you. Being around positive is contageous. Go ahead, catch the fun flu!

10. Don't be hard on yourself. Everyone has crummy days, and everyone gets twitchy eye because of that crying baby in the waiting area (even if they don't want to admit it). Cut yourself some slack, curse under your breath, and keep going. You're good! :)

Hopefully this makes someone laugh or inspires happy thoughts. Sometimes you've gotta have a tv day on the couch, but most days you really need to get out into the world and get your stuff done. I really hope everyone out there is having a great day, but if not, maybe some of these suggestions will be worth a try.


Hugs and poops,

Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment