Wednesday 13 February 2013

How To Handle Anxiety At Work


My job isn't particularly stressful, but that doesn't mean that I don't get anxious at work. Anxiety is a strange thing; sometimes it's brought on by absolutely nothing! In my experience, it can be really difficult to handle being anxious at work because I'm surrounded by people who don't understand what's happening to me, and who I'm not comfortable with (which is stressful in itself!).

Here are a few things that I do when anxiety strikes in the office:



Seriously. Get up from your chair (or from wherever you are) and get into a different space. Even if it's only walking into another room, it still helps to move your body and leave the place where your anxiety started. You don't have to run a marathon for this to help; walking a circle around cubicle land helps me.

When you go back to your space, stretch. Let some oxygen move around in your body and shake yourself out. For me, I find sitting in a cubicle very suffocating, so moving my body around and 'freshening it up' is really helpful. It helps me to catch my breath and snap me out of whatever funk I seem to have fallen into.



A nice glass of cold water is like a healing potion when you're starting to freak out.

When you've caught your breath, have a sip of water. I don't know if it's the cold that helps me, or if it's that I'm usually really parched when I get anxious, but I find that having a drink helps me to wake up and snap out of it.



Like I said before, you're surrounded by people who might not understand what you're going through, or who you want to keep a neutral relationship with. If you think hearing the voice of someone who can 'knock your crazies out' will help, call them up! Obviously you can't have a therapy session while you're suposed to be working, but a quick phone call just to hear a reassuring voice can be just what the doctor ordered.



Remember, you've obviously gotten yourself out and about, and you're at work! Those are some small accomplishments that are actually quite big when it comes to anxiety. Think of every little thing you've accomplished so far and be proud of them. Nothing is too small! I know that this might seem crazy to some people, but if you've ever had anxiety you will know that sometimes the littlest day to day things all of a sudden seem like these huge obstacles!

You've made it this far and you can always go farther, you just need to breathe, pick yourself back up and move on to the next thing.

In saying all of this, I know that these steps might not work for everyone, but they really help me. I also understand that there are days when snapping yourself out of it just isn't in the cards. That's okay too! Sometimes we all need a break, right?

Remember not to take things for granted (even the most annoying chores) because you're actually quite lucky to have those little things to be irritated with!

Hugs and poops,

Nichole

8 comments:

  1. Excellent post Nichole!! I'm glad you chose to write about it - like you said, it's something not many people really know much about it. I liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That means a lot to me, I really appreciate that you took the time :)

      Delete
  2. I really like this post. A lot of these are things that I do when I am feeling overwhelmed, and they help me too.
    Also I really enjoy reading your blog. :)
    I feel a little creepy about following you though, because while I don't know you, I do know who you are as you were in your first or second year of theatre school when I was in my fourth. Apparently I feel fine about following complete strangers but not sort-of-know-you types!
    Anyway, yours is one of my favorite blogs, even though reading it makes me feel like a creeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you!
      Creep away, my friend, creep away! I'm always in on your blog as well and I've commented a couple of times, so I guess we are on comparative internet friend creeping levels!
      I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who has anxiety moments at work... or wait, no, I don't want anyone else to have them, but it's nice not to be alone. Does that make sense?
      Also, it's always great to reconnect with fellow thespians (that word still makes me laugh)!

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! I actually do a lot of these daily...because I get anxious a lot at work. Not sure why, because my job is in no way stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! My job isn't stressful either, but I still get anxiety. That's one of the most frustrating things about anxiety, that is somtimes just hits you for no real reason.

      Delete
  4. Love this post!!! A lot of these things work also for stress, even if it's not full-blown anxiety.
    Glad to see you are sharing your wonderful coping mechanisms :)

    ReplyDelete