Sunday 16 December 2012

Get Ready For Cavities!



I haven't stopped baking in three days. My hands are turning into spatulas and my nose can actually tell exactly when something in the oven is ready to come out. I am the snack master!

Today's adventure into the art of things that are terrible for my teeth, was all about toffee. I was suprised at how easy it was to make. I found this recipe on Pinterest and went from there.

You'll need:

2 1/4 cups of icing sugar - 1/2 cup of milk - 1/4 cup of corn syrup - 1 vanilla bean - 3/4 cup salted butter

I altered the recipe just a little bit by using a teaspoon of vanilla extract instead of a bean, and I added lemon juice into the mix (don't worry, you won't taste the lemon-y goodness, it just takes a bit of the eye crossing sweetness out of the toffee). The lemon was added until I liked the taste of the mix, there's no measurement exactly, but if I had to guess, I'd say three burly man squeezes of the fake lemon that the juice is bottled in.

Put the icing sugar, corn syrup, milk and vanilla into a pot. Stir these ingredients together over a high temperature with a wooden spoon (I used a silicon spoon because a fury helper ate my wooden one). Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about five minutes. If you used a vanilla bean, this is when you take it out of the mix.

After the five minutes are up, start to gradually add the butter (I have no patience, so mine went in as a giant blob). Now stir until your arm feels floppy. If you have a candy thermometer, you'll stop stirring and remove the pot from heat when it reaches 110 degrees celsius. If you don't have a candy thermometer (like me) you'll have to go old school and use a glass of cold water. For toffee, when you pour a bit of the delicious goo into the water, it will come out firm, but soft and malleable.

Butter a sheet of parchment paper and put it in a pan (mine was glass), then pour the mix in. The parchment paper will keep your toffee from sticking to the pan, and also make cleanup MUCH less of a hair pulling experience.

The recipe says to let it cool for two hours before cutting, but I'd recommend going through it with a pizza cutter a few times over that two hour span.

Now eat it all!

No, don't actually do that, you'll be sick. I wrapped my toffees in parchment paper because I'm going to gift them to others.

Enjoy!



Hugs and poops,

Nichole

1 comment: