Monday 10 December 2012

The Night of the Franken-Cake


It's December, not October, but I've created monsters.

I wanted so badly to share a different recipe with you guys today, but it just wouldn't turn out! I tried three different time before I decided that I was driving myself crazy. To make up for this parade-pooping malfunction, I decided to share my favorite icing recipe... but apparently the theme of sanity testing is going to continue all through December. I don't know what it is about me making cupcakes that always invites gremlins (first story here), but here's another cupcake comedy hour for you, on behalf of me.

I decided to quickly whip up a batch of cupcakes using store bought mix (to save time, since I just wanted to share the icing recipe, and also because I had it in my cupboard.). Of course the mix was slightly expired, but I didn't care, I wanted cupcakes and I wanted them right now. As I was about to pour the mix into the cups, I discovered that Monsieur Cat has decided to eat two of my silicone baking cups. Fantabulous! Like any good baking soldier, I pushed onwards and thought "whatever, I'll just spread out the extra batter amongst the ten remaining cups"... here's what happens when you do that:



Whatever... the icing will cover the bulbous tops of my Franken-cakes, right? Moving along!



Now, to make the icing!

You need:

- 1/4 cup of softened cream cheese - 1/4 cup of softened butter - 1/2 tsp vanilla - 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar

Blend the SOFTENED cream cheese and butter together with a blender until it's all mushed together. DON'T try and skip the softening step... I flung a chunk of butter across my kitchen with the blender, learn from my impatience, kids. Add your vanilla, and slowly mix in your icing sugar. I just kept adding icing sugar until it tasted so sweet that the mishaps of the day just melted away into tooth cavities. You need to add it slowly though, or it will poof up in your face like a delicious bomb explosion. I did this. Your eyes can't taste the sugar, it's a waste.

When all mixed together you get a delicious icing for your hideous cupcakes! This icing is soooo good (if you like cream cheese)! My favorite pairing is this icing on top of chocolate cupcakes.

I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if you end up with ugly cupcakes, don't fret, mine still tasted delicious!

Hugs and poops,

Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment