Wednesday 15 May 2013

Struggles With Weight - Past And Present

Me in 2004 - 137 lbs
In 2004, my boyfriend of three and a half years broke up with me and I got really sad. Apparently sad Nikki is all about the chocolate and cheese, because I went from 120 lbs to 137 in only a few months. Break my heart and I break the scales!
Me in 2006 - 115 lbs
 In my second year of university I lost a lot of weight really quickly, and very unhealthily. I stopped eating and ran myself ragged with school and extracurricular activities. I absolutely hated how I looked and thought I was fatter than a blimp. Looking back at pictures of me then, I've come to realize that weight isn't some magical number that can remedy how you feel about yourself.

Me in 2013 - 140 lbs
Over the past couple of years my diet has been comprised mostly of take-out food and sweets. It's not hard to pack on the pounds when you live that way. At twenty-seven years old, I'm am now the heaviest that I have ever been.

My plan is to replace some of the crappy foods I love so much with things that actually have nutritional value to them, and snack on fruits and veggies instead of junk foods. I've been doing reall well over the past couple of weeks, but I won't lie, it's been hard. It's so much easier to pick up a fast food dinner on the way home from work than it is to go home and cook something up. Also, I'd much rather eat a take-out burger than a salad, so I have to work on my palate.

The eliptical machine has been very motivating, as it sits and judges me harshly whenever I sit down in the living room. I haven't been using it as much as I'd like to, but I want to do this slowly and built up my resistance.

I'm being a good little girl and losing weight the healthy way.

What's different about my mind set is that I'm not worried about the number on the scale so much as I am focused on how I feel. If I'm 140 lbs and I have the energy that I need to do the things I love, I'll be happy with that!

So, that's my update on the healthy living adventure so far!

If you're interested in a healthy alternative to junky snacks, check out my post on how to make your own popcorn instead of buying the pre-packaged stuff!

(Hannah, we're totally in this together, right!? ha ha)

Hugs and poops,

Nichole

3 comments:

  1. We definitely are! Adjusting diet can be quite difficult, especially if you get munchies like I do. Drinking water helps a lot with that. Most days, I don't drink nearly enough water, but on days that I do, I feel better. Sometimes when you feel hungry, it's really just your body telling you that it needs water. Drink a glass of cold water, or maybe get some watery fruits/veggies like melon or carrots. (Melon is effing delicious!)
    I used to eat fast food once or twice EVERY day, and I grew to hate it. It helped to know how truly horribly fast food is for you. Luckily, I moved to a city that offered a lot more healthy and natural choices, and my boyfriend is quite the cook so we eat at home most of the time. We also cut out red meat and most dairy products, switching to chicken, fish, and turkey, and almond milk. We love our cheese though! These meats don't leave you feeling as heavy as red meat does, and it's leaner. Chicken burgers are the bomb! Most of our dinners consist of one of these meats, a vegetable, and sometimes rice or potatoes. It's a filling and healthy meal!
    I definitely need to exercise more, but when I do, it feels good. You might dread it at first, but after awhile, you'll want to do it. After a rough exercise, be sure to get your protein, or you'll feel pretty dead. A protein shake, peanut butter, jerky, etc. helps restore the energy you just lost.
    You're totally right, too. It's not about meeting a certain weight. It's about feeling good physically and about being happy with yourself. That was a long comment, but thought I'd share some tips I found helpful in myself!
    And don't forget, you're awesome!
    PS-Since I read your post on homemade popcorn, I have made my own every time! It tastes way better and I feel better about not ingesting all those crazy ingredients store bought popcorn has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah!
      I love all of those tips! I don't know if I could cut out all of my dairy, but I should definitely scale back the intake at least a little bit.
      I love melons! ha ha (get your mind outta the gutter!)
      Cantaloupe and watermelon are my favorite.
      I'm glad you're loving the popcorn! You're right, it feels good knowing that you're eating a yummy snack but not ingesting all of those gross chemicals.

      Thanks for all of the tips! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Yup, we're with you over here in Italy too. I ate salad twice this week, TWICE! That's more than I ever did in a month before. Also our salad dressing expired, so it's good old olive oil and vinaigrette for me (that's how they dress salads in Italy, no dressing here).

    I bought one chocolate bar in the past 3 weeks, and ate it slowly over a few days. I have been eating way less junk. I crave sugar like crazy though!! And I still love salami and cheese, so I'm working on just eating less of them. Also trying to stay away from processed sugars and switching to whole wheat bread. So far it's going okay! :)

    My biggest thing is sugar and portion size, as well as actually eating some veggies. If my IBS would just behave, all would be well.

    ReplyDelete